The Daniel Fast is a plant-based partial fast. It is based on the Prophet Daniel when he was under the rule of Babylonian kings for their personal service. Daniel recorded three occasions of fasting, though he likely fasted many more times since he was a man of God. Daniel 10: 2 – 3, is where we find the model for the 21-day Daniel Fast, In those days I, Daniel, was mourning three full weeks. I ate no [a]pleasant food, no meat or wine came into my mouth, nor did I anoint myself at all, till three whole weeks were fulfilled. From this passage, guidelines have developed over the years, primarily by Christians who use this as a form of fasting. The Daniel Fast has grown in popularity over the last several years as it has been championed by many.
Foods to INCLUDE in your diet during the Daniel Fast:
- All FRUIT. These can be fresh, frozen, dried, juiced, or canned. The kind of fruits include but are not limited to apples, apricots, bananas, blackberries, blueberries, boysenberries, cantaloupe, cherries, cranberries, figs, grapefruit, grapes, guava, honeydew melon, kiwi, lemons, limes, mangoes, nectarines, oranges, papayas, peaches, pears, pineapples, plums, prunes, raisins, raspberries, strawberries, tangelos, tangerines, watermelon, and the list goes on. If you are using dried fruits, make sure they do not have added sugar.
- All VEGETABLES. These can be fresh, frozen, dried, juiced, or canned. Vegetables include but are not limited to artichokes, asparagus, beets, broccoli, brussels sprouts, cabbage, carrots, cauliflower, celery, chili peppers, collard greens, corn, cucumbers, eggplant, garlic, ginger root, kale, leeks, lettuce, mushrooms, mustard greens, okra, onions, parsley, potatoes, radishes, rutabagas, scallions, spinach, sprouts, squashes, sweet potatoes, tomatoes, turnips, watercress, yams, and zucchini. Veggie burgers are an option if you are not allergic to soy. Be sure to get the version that does not contain egg or cheese.
- All WHOLE GRAINS including but not limited to whole wheat, brown rice, millet, quinoa, oats, barley, grits, whole wheat pasta, whole wheat tortillas, rice cakes and popcorn.
- All NUTS AND SEEDS, including but not limited to sunflower seeds, cashews, peanuts, sesame. Also nut butters including peanut butter without added sugars.
- All LEGUMES. These can be canned or dried. Legumes include but are not limited to dried beans, pinto beans, split peas, lentils, black eyed peas, kidney beans, black beans, cannellini beans, white beans.
- All QUALITY OILS including but not limited to olive, canola, grape seed, peanut, and sesame.
- BEVERAGES including spring water, distilled water, and other pure waters. Fruit and vegetable juices including all-natural juices are acceptable.
- SWEETNERS acceptable under this fast include 100% cane sugar, raw sugar, honey, corn syrups, molasses, pure maple syrup, and cane juice.
- OTHER ACCEPTABLE ITEMS include tofu, soy products, vinegar, seasonings, salt, herbs, and spices.
Foods to AVOID on the Daniel Fast:
- All MEAT AND ANIMAL PRODUCTS including but not limited to beef, lamb, pork, poultry, and fish. Fish (not fried) is allowed Friday at sundown through Sunday at sundown.
- All DAIRY PRODUCTS including but not limited to milk, cheese, cream, butter, and eggs.
- All REFINED AND PROCESSED food products including but not limited to artificial flavorings, food additives, chemicals, white rice, white flour, and foods that contain artificial preservatives.
- All DEEP-FRIED foods including but not limited to potato chips, French fries, and corn chips.
- All SOLID FATS including shortening, margarine, lard, and foods high in fat.
- BEVERAGES including but not limited to coffee, tea, herbal teas, carbonated beverages, energy drinks, and alcohol.
Remember, READ THE LABELS when purchasing packaged, canned, or bottled foods. They should be sugar-free and chemical-free! All Vegan foods are not Fast-friendly and/or acceptable.